Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 4 ounces elbow macaroni pasta dried/uncooked
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Avalon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup Avalon milk whole, 2%, 1% or skim
- 2 1/2 ounces Avalon cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 ounces Avalon mozzarella cheese coarsely grated
- freshly grated pepper
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper optional
- 2 tablespoons Avalon parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs optional
Boil water in a medium-sized pot with salt. Water must be as salty as sea water. Cook macaroni according to package directions for firmly cooked pasta. Drain water after cooking.
Whisk butter and flour in another medium-sized pot over medium heat until the paste smells like buttery, nutty toast.
Slowly add milk while whisking.
The paste will seize up at the very beginning,
but will be very liquid once all the milk is poured.
Cook until the mixture has the consistency of heavy/whipping cream, whisking constantly.
Add the shredded cheddar and mozarella cheese and stir until they are all melted.
Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper to suit your taste.
Fold in the cooked macaroni and mix to incorporate with the cheese sauce.
Transfer into medium baking dish or into individual-sized baking pans. Top with parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs, if using.
Turn on the oven for broiling on low with the rack positioned on the upper third of the oven. Bake the macaroni and cheese for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the top begins to turn golden brown. Best served while hot.
This recipe can be easily doubled to serve 4.